[stunnel-users] Error detected on socket (read) file descriptor: Broken pipe (32)

Alex Magee alexmagee at att.net
Sat Aug 27 12:03:24 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to use stunnel to workaround a wine bug which prevents an old
Windows mail client from accessing my mail server through a pop3s 995
port.  I'm not an expert on linux, stunnel, sockets or ssl.

The process seems to start off well, establishes a connection to the
correct remote mail server, and negotiates an ssl connection, but then
terminates with:

Error detected on socket (read) file descriptor: Broken pipe (32)

I've played with various settings in the stunnel.conf file, but with no
success.  A Google search turned up one other example of this problem
back in Nov 2010, but no solution was forthcoming.  Does anyone have any
suggestions of what might be the problem?

The level 7 debug stunnel.log file follows at the end, with TCP addresses
masked.  The system is SUSE Linux 11.4.  Using the latest versions of ssl
and stunnel.

Thanks,
  Alex

stunnel.log
--------------

local socket: FD=0 allocated (non-blocking mode)

Service pmail-pop3 accepted FD=0 from 127.0.0.1:48828

Service pmail-pop3 started

Option TCP_NODELAY set on local socket

Service pmail-pop3 accepted connection from 127.0.0.1:48828

remote socket: FD=1 allocated (non-blocking mode)

connect_blocking: connecting xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:995

connect_blocking: s_poll_wait xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:995: waiting 10 seconds

connect_blocking: connected xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:995

Service pmail-pop3 connected remote server from 192.168.1.47:46187

Remote FD=1 initialized

Option TCP_NODELAY set on remote socket

SNI: host name: yyy.yyy.yyy..com

SSL state (connect): before/connect initialization

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 write client hello A

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 read server hello A

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 read server certificate A

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 read server done A

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 write client key exchange A

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 write change cipher spec A

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 write finished A

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 flush data

SSL state (connect): SSLv3 read finished A

   1 items in the session cache

   1 client connects (SSL_connect())

   1 client connects that finished

   0 client renegotiations requested

   0 server connects (SSL_accept())

   0 server connects that finished

   0 server renegotiations requested

   0 session cache hits

   0 external session cache hits

   0 session cache misses

   0 session cache timeouts

SSL connected: new session negotiated

Negotiated ciphers: RC4-SHA SSLv3 Kx=RSA Au=RSA Enc=RC4(128) Mac=SHA1

Socket closed on read

Sending SSL write shutdown

Error detected on socket (read) file descriptor: Broken pipe (32)

Connection reset: 79 bytes sent to SSL, 64 bytes sent to socket

Service pmail-pop3 finished (0 left)

str_stats: 0 block(s), 0 byte(s)