[stunnel-users] Temporary failure in name resolution, (Michal Trojnara)

Phil Wieland phil at philwieland.com
Sat Apr 30 14:53:38 CEST 2011

On 30/04/11 11:00, stunnel-users-request at stunnel.org wrote:

> Your stunnel.conf contains:
> chroot = /var/lib/stunnel4/
>
> Unfortunately this directory does not contain resolver configuration
> files:
[]
>> >  These are WITHOUT the suggested patch, I am not really equipped for
>> >  building on this server.
> The patch should solve your problem by causing stunnel to wait until your
> resolver is available before chroot(2) is executed.
>
> Workarounds:
> 1. mkdir /var/lib/stunnel4/etc&&  cp /etc/resolv.conf
> /var/lib/stunnel4/etc/
> 2. Use IP address instead of host names in your stunnel.conf
> 3. Add static IP address of your remote host to /etc/hosts
>
> Best regards,
>      Mike

Many thanks for the analysis, Mike.  I'll have to organise myself to
build so I can apply the patch.

Can I be really cheeky and ask one more question?
Why does the problem not go away when my resolver is available -
Shouldn't stunnel look again for this stuff after getting a temporary error?

Thanks again,

Phil