[stunnel-users] Critical error on stunnel 434 for WinCE/Windows Mobile: no service at all, because of failure in thread creation

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Sun Sep 26 21:53:16 CEST 2010

Pierre DELAAGE wrote:
> My patch will lead to have as "default" the /STACK option value of
> the linker, ie 1MB with wce compiler if /STACK unspecified.

Such a large virtual memory reserved for each stack thread is a very
bad idea on 32-bit CPUs.  WCE makes it even worse, since each process
is contained (unless some special tricks are used) within a 32MB slot:
That's why I recently received a report that stunnel is not able to
create more than 32 threads on WCE.

> It would be uselessly luxuous to modify _beginthread to "really" get
> the calling thread stack size as default.

I don't remember stunnel using calling stack size for any purpose...

> In general, after the 4.27 refresh and the unicode bug last year I
> will stay focused on unicode/ascii support and
> compilation issues on WCE, and I will deal with "operational" code
> only when encountering a bug.

I'd appreciate some help with testing as I currently don't have an eVC
configured.