[stunnel-users] SMPP Protocol and STunnel

Pierre DELAAGE delaage.pierre at free.fr
Sat Sep 11 21:25:23 CEST 2010

Hello,
Provided that you are using SMPP over TCP/IP (not over X25), yes you
could use stunnel.
Next you have to know what port(s) are involved at the server side (ie
the "listening" socket(s)):
apparently there are two flavors of smpp over tcp: one using two network
connections, the other using only one ("tranceiver session").

Things will be more simple if you are using only one connection.
If you are using two connections, and provided that ssl is required on
both, just duplicate [smpp] section below as [smpp1] and [smpp2],
of course changing the "accept" and "connect" ports.

Then you have to get a valid CLIENT certificate (crt file) and key file.

Stunnel.conf can then look like this :
;------
; stunnel CLIENT conf

[smpps]
client = yes

accept=127.0.0.1:CHOOSE A LOCAL LISTENING PORT ON THE CLIENT
connect=SERVER_IP_ADDR:SERVER_LISTENING_PORT

cert=\localLocation\userXXXcert.crt
key =\localLocation\userXXXcert.key

;often useful :
sslVersion=all

And of course you have to redirect your smpp client software to the
"pseudo smpp over ssl" local server(s) on localhost,
(cf "local listening port" above).

Hope this may help,
Pierre Delaage