[stunnel-users] openssl cross compiling for windows

Jon Daley stunnel at jon.limedaley.com
Sat Oct 30 02:24:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Michal Trojnara wrote:
>> I'm planning on removing the LoadLibrary calls to force ipv6
>> to be off, though it'd be nice to not do that, since someday, there will
>> be an ipv6-only network that we'll have to deal with presumably.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to fix your IPv6 configuration or localhost entry in
> your system32\drivers\etc\hosts?

 	In Windows 7, Microsoft has commented out the localhost entries in
the hosts file for "security" reasons due to hackers editing the hosts
file and wrecking stuff.  They rely on an internal dns mechanism to
provide the proper ip address for localhost.  However, today, we
uncommented the entries and you can still redirect localhost to any ip you
want, so I fail to see how commenting them provided any security.

 	I was in front of the computer that wasn't working, and it turns
out he was using the cygwin telnet, which (at least the version he
installed) doesn't support ipv6, and so that explains the problem (windows
programs use ipv6 by default, his cygwin telnet was using ipv4).

 	It turns out that our 3rd party smtp/pop3 library that we are
using doesn't support ipv6 anyway, and so me disabling stunnel's ipv6
support isn't limiting anything.

 	Thanks for your help.

--
Jon Daley