[stunnel-users] Stunnel and DLL Hell

Pierre DELAAGE delaage.pierre at free.fr
Sat Oct 2 16:08:04 CEST 2010

Hello,
I am not sure that static linking should be the good solution to this
problem.
Having many software linked statically to different versions of the same
library
could lead to other  problems (if they are interacting).
At least, with a few search on the system and trivial properties check,
it is "easy" to have
a clear sight of the situation of your platform.

 From an integrator point of view, I agree anyway that it is useful 1/
to KNOW what version
of the library has been used at compile time (and is thus expected at
exec time), 2/ to have the means to know what versions are available on
the system,
and 3/ to have the mean to CHOSE what version to use at execution time.

Stunnel is involved only in the first point.

All this 3 questions have trivial answers :
1/- See log of stunnel to know the library version used at compile time
See also the changelog page to have this info :
http://stunnel.mirt.net/?page=ChangeLog_sdf

2/ Windows search is now a mess but anyway finding some files is "possible".
More usefully, "msinfo32", in the "Loaded Modules" list, will show you
each copy of a library that are loaded into the system,
but unfortunately not giving the loading program.

More simply : cd c:\ and then dir /a /b /s libeay32.dll will give you
rapidly the different locations of the file you are searching for.

Some more tips and tools here : "Escape from DLL Hell with Custom
Debugging and Instrumentation Tools and Utilities"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/bb985842.aspx

3/ Yes you have the choice :
by either having only one version of the dll on your system (typically
in c:\windows), thus deleting all the others,
OR by having a copy of the desired dll in the same folder as each
executable of interest.
The latter is done preferably, at least because some programs require a
specific version, just because they have been validated vs that version
(ie Quality Assurance reason):
This is WHY you have so many copies of the same lib on your system...
See more explanations here : Dynamic-Link Library Search Order
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586(v=VS.85).aspx

I recognize that my suggestions place the responsibility of dll
consistency on the admin
of the platform, instead of on the "installer" provider that
could/should check and warns about potential conflict at install time.

Finally, I do not think that the problem is "dynamic linking" in itself,
but just "proper checking" or "proper location" at install time, and
"proper administration"
of the software environment.
And just because of the fact that some versions of a software has been
validated with a specific version of the dll,
it is almost mandatory that each sw places a copy of its critical dll in
its own directory.

This is what is done by stunnel on win32, so there MUST not be any dll
problem with it.
Other examples : PostgresQL, OpenOffice 3 and Apple iTunes all install
their own copy of ssleay32.dll in their own directory.

If there is problem, it comes from installers that install "their
version of some" dll directly in c:\windows (something that MS products
are well known to do),
and/or by dll that break their interface or implementation from version
to version (such dll should not be installed in common locations, of
course).

Pierre Delaage