[stunnel-users] "choose a digital certificate" pop-up in IE

KumpelJ bender.thomas at web.de
Wed May 19 14:30:14 CEST 2010

Hello

I have browsed the archives but have not found the answer to this
question...

I have stunnel set up to handle https connections. It sits on a Debian
server alongside HAProxy and works fine with every browser except for
Internet Explorer.

When I connect with Internet Explorer, I get a blank "Please choose a
digital certificate" pop-up.

How do we turn off the request for the client certificate in IE?

Here are my details....thanks in advance.

#vi /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf
verify=0
CAfile=/etc/ssl/certs/chain.pem
cert=/etc/ssl/certs/multidomain.pem
CApath=/etc/ssl/certs/

pid = /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pid
debug = 3
output = /etc/stunnel/stunnel.log

socket=l:TCP_NODELAY=1
socket=r:TCP_NODELAY=1

client=no

[https]
accept=192.168.11.32:443
connect=localhost:444
TIMEOUTclose=0
xforwardedfor=yes

#usr/local/bin/stunnel -version
stunnel 4.32 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu with OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
Threading:PTHREAD SSL:ENGINE Sockets:POLL,IPv6

Global options
debug           = daemon.notice
pid             = /usr/local/var/run/stunnel/stunnel.pid
RNDbytes        = 64
RNDfile         = /dev/urandom
RNDoverwrite    = yes

Service-level options
cert            = /usr/local/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem
ciphers         = AES:ALL:!aNULL:!eNULL:+RC4:@STRENGTH
session         = 300 seconds
stack           = 65536 bytes
sslVersion      = SSLv3 for client, all for server
TIMEOUTbusy     = 300 seconds
TIMEOUTclose    = 60 seconds
TIMEOUTconnect  = 10 seconds
TIMEOUTidle     = 43200 seconds