[stunnel-users] need to restart stunnel if stunnel starts before network?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Jan 19 10:11:50 CET 2010

Hello. One reason to opt for stunnel instead of ssh -L to secure a local
non-ssl client is, that if user use stunnel, it can work transparently,
start working only when a connection is listened, so user do not have to
start ssh-L before using the
client and do not have to shut it down after using the client.

However these days through the use of NetworkManager, the network
interfaces are often not brought up when stunnel started as a system
service. Instead, the network interfaces are brought up by users, in
case of wifi or wan, after user typed password. I found I have to first
start network interfaces, and run
/etc/init.d/stunnel restart

to prepare to run the insecure client. Is there a way to run in stunnel
in such a way it does nothing except listening, and can recover from
network restart, which happens from time to time for road warriors like me?

Thanks in advance. I didn't find answer on FAQ by the way.