[stunnel-users] Use stunnel through firewall for home Web server?

Michael Renner michael.renner at gmx.de
Fri Jan 23 20:05:07 CET 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009, Bill Eldridge wrote:
> Michael Renner wrote:
> > On Friday 23 January 2009, Bill Eldridge wrote:
> >> I was interested in whether there's a simple
> >> way to have stunnel redirect traffic from a public Web browser/port
> >> to my home Web browser behind my DSL firewall
> >> (no ports opened/forwarded for incoming connections on the router,
> >> only outgoing-initiated)
> >
> > Moin,
> >
> > it is not clear to what you want to do. From a public web browser to your
> > home web browser?
> >
> > Can you clarify your setup?
>
> As an example if I run Apache on my home machine, I'd like it to start
> the tunnel when
> I turn it on, have it automatically set up stunnel to a Linux box I have
> on the public net,
> and have anything to port 8090 on the Linux box get passed to my home
> machine 8080.

Even this is the stunnel list, I recommend to use a reverse ssh tunnel
together with netcat to do this.

Setup netcat as an inetd application listening to port 8090 and redirect
anything to localhost:8080 at the remote host.

At your local maschine (with the apache) start a reverse ssh tunnel, redirect
anything from localhost:8080 (in this case your remote maschine) to your
local machine:8080

home # ssh -R 8080:localhost:8090 user at remote
You should use a key to get rid of the password question!

Add a line like this to the remote /etc/inetd.conf:
8090 stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/bin/nc /usr/bin/nc  localhost 8080

CU
--
|Michael Renner      E-mail: michael.renner at gmx.de  |
|D-81541 Munich      Germany        ICQ: #112280325 |