[stunnel-users] stunnel tls wrapper/proxy for xmpp

C.J. Adams-Collier cjac at colliertech.org
Wed Feb 4 20:49:41 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:58:38AM -0800, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:
<snip/>

> Any further thoughts other than "ask the pidgin folks"?

I talked with the pidgin folks a bit.  They recommended that I give
socat a try, and it seemed to work.  One of the folks had this to say:

19:39 < darkrain42> cj: Also, for the record, I think stunnel just isn't the
                    thing you want to be using. What it seemed to be doing was
                    opening a SSL connectoin to talk.google.com and then
                    writing the raw data from your socket to the server (so
                    Pidgin tries to open an SSL connection and the raw SSL
                    handshake is written to talk.google.com)

Is this correct?  I would have expected it to terminate the SSL
connection with finch on one port and originate another SSL connection
with talk.google.com on another.  If I read what he's writing
correctly, he's saying that the connection from finch is not
terminated, but instead passed through unaltered.

Maybe it's because I was using the "client" setting in the config
file?

In any case, if I want to capture a session using STARTTLS, It looks
like I'll need to make that patch.

Cheers,

C.J.