[stunnel-users] Stunnel License

Bansal, Gaurav (Gaurav) gbansal at avaya.com
Wed Sep 24 15:53:03 CEST 2008

We are compiling stunnel source without any modification for different
platform supported of our product. Then we are running stunnel as a
standalone process after making changes to stunnel.conf file. In
stunnel.conf file we are providing location of certificates and ports to
be used

We would distribute stunnel binary along with our product. Given the
scenario I have mentioned do you foresee legal problems in usage of
stunnel.

I understand that OpenSSL uses OpenSSL license but I got this for
openssl website.

On many systems including the major Linux and BSD distributions, yes
(the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part of
the normal operating system distribution).

On other systems, the situation is less clear. Some GPL software
copyright holders claim that you infringe on their rights if you use
OpenSSL with their software on operating systems that don't normally
include OpenSSL.

If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may find it
useful to choose another license than the GPL, or state explicitly that
"This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption
that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed." If you are
using GPL software developed by others, you may want to ask the
copyright holder for permission to use their software with OpenSSL.

Specifically I am concerned if Stunnel states that compiling, linking,
and/or using OpenSSL is allowed

Thanks

Gaurav