[stunnel-users] One (!) more question - now I can't SEND thru stunnel!

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Tue Sep 9 18:33:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 11:42:43 -0700, John Bryant wrote:
> Dear all -
>
> When I got thru the receiving problems, and tried sending mail, I got this message:
>
> ***********
>
> Error - sent data: "MAIL FROM:<jbryant at lzy.net>"
> Receive error: "530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at
> 530 5.5.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 h27sm1283675elf.14"
>
> ***********

Hi Lenny,

>From the error message, I suspect the mail server in question being
gmail. As far as I understand the gmail support pages, Google wants
you to authenticate using SMTP authentication. This is a
username/password authentication and is unrelated to the encryption
stuff. The fact, the 530 message finds its way back to the mail client
proofs the tunnel is up and working correctly.

What is needed now is to configure your mail client to send the
username/password pair to the mail server. I don't know calypso at
all, but I'd look for something like 'use name and password' in the
'outgoing server' dialog (if there is something like that).

Ludolf

Ludolf Holzheid             Tel:    +49 621 339960
Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH         Fax:    +49 621 3392239
Floßwörthstraße 41          e-mail: lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
D-68199 Mannheim, Germany