[stunnel-users] STUNNEL: Thunderbird with Exchange and only inbound port 443

Fatma nu6shell at gmail.com
Fri May 23 11:00:03 CEST 2008

 Hello All,

A quick question regarding the stunnel ability to work with the following
scenario.

Scenario is: I have an Exchange Server sitting on the external perimeter
with Outlook Web Access (OWA) enabled and it is the frontend and backend
mail server as well. And I have a remote client which has a Thunderbird
Client (for example) that I need it to connect to the Exchange Server to
retrieve emails.
The only inbound port to the Exchange Server from a network perspective is
HTTPS-443 and no other ports are open on the firewall.

Now the question is how can a client thunderbird connect to the Exchange
Server/OWA with only 443 port open.

So what i was thinking is and tell me if this works?

If i install two instances of STUNNEL one on the remote client and one on
the exchange server and the following happens.
on the client the stunnel listens on port 25 SMTP and encrypts and forwards
to port 443
then the server recieves and listens on port 443 and decrypts and forwards
to port 110 POP3

will that work actually? hmmm i wish i explained that pretty well. if not
then how can it work with the given scenario.

cheerz.