[stunnel-users] How do I kill stunnel?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Jun 25 17:38:22 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:57:39PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I've got an application that starts stunnel using equivalent of
> a fork/exec.  The stunnel process then appears to fork off
> multiple copies of itself.
>
> Before the application exits, it needs to stop stunnel.  I send
> a SIGINT to the PID that was created using the fork, but only
> the first "master" copy terminates -- the master stunnel
> process doesn't terminate its children when it exits.  So I end
> up with a bunch of "orphaned" stunnel processes.  They're not
> zombies, they're process that are either in state R or S
> (runnable or sleeping).
>
> How do I tell stunnel to not only terminate, but to terminate
> whatever child processes it has created?

If you have built stunnel with libwrap support, chances are high
that the patch from this message might help you:

http://stunnel.mirt.net/pipermail/stunnel-users/2008-June/002021.html

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
This would easier understand fewer had omitted.