[stunnel-users] How do I kill stunnel?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Jun 25 16:57:39 CEST 2008

I've got an application that starts stunnel using equivalent of
a fork/exec.  The stunnel process then appears to fork off
multiple copies of itself.

Before the application exits, it needs to stop stunnel.  I send
a SIGINT to the PID that was created using the fork, but only
the first "master" copy terminates -- the master stunnel
process doesn't terminate its children when it exits.  So I end
up with a bunch of "orphaned" stunnel processes.  They're not
zombies, they're process that are either in state R or S
(runnable or sleeping).

How do I tell stunnel to not only terminate, but to terminate
whatever child processes it has created?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Zippy's brain cells
                                  at               are straining to bridge