[stunnel-users] Problem with multiple stunnel jobs

Carter Browne cbrowne at cbcs-usa.com
Tue Jun 17 18:34:24 CEST 2008

A couple of days ago, I upgrade from 4.15 to 4.23 on a Linux system
running Redhat 8.  At the same time I went from openssl 0.9.8g to
0.9.8h.  No changes were made to the configuration file.  After the
change, rather than starting a single process, it starts 6 processes.
The process number of the lowest number process is the one that is put
into the
/var/run/stunnel.pid file.  When I try to stop stunnel, using
/etc/init.d/stunnel stop, the lowest number process is kill, and the
highest number process seems to be running
continuously - although it is not a hard cpu loop, but it keeps on
accumulating run time.

The number of processes may not be a new phenomenon, but the inability
to kill itself is.  I normally restart the stunnel on a daily basis to
keep the log files manageable, but with this
new behavior, the /etc/init.d/strunnel restart command fails because the
ports are still in use.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Carter