[stunnel-users] help with stunnell

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Mon Jul 28 21:26:07 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 23:37:22 -0700, vinodsreehari at yahoo.com wrote:
> [..]
>
> I configured stnnel in one server as server mode ,for accepting
> connection on 8070 ,and connect to 80 . It works only if i specify
> https://ipaddress:8070

This is because the default port for https is 443.

If you'd configure stunnel to accept on port 443, `https://ipaddress'
would work.

> I have configured one client server also to accept connection on 80
> and redirect to teh 8070 of server. I want to know that is that teh
> way its working .

If there is a stunnel instance on the client machine accepting
connections on port 80 and connecting to the web server at the https
port (default or not), a user could specify `http://localhost' to
connect to the web server (and the traffic between the client machine
and the server would be secured).

> And is it possible to implement the same in a live enviroment ,in
> which teh webserver will run on different port ,but users dont need
> to specify the port number .

Yes. As soon as the destination port for the 'first hop' of a
redirected/tunneled connection is the default port for the protocol in
question, there is no need to specify the port number.

The port numbers of 'intermediate hops' are configuration options for
the two stunnel instances (in this case), so the user dosn't have to
care about them.

HTH,

Ludolf

Ludolf Holzheid             Tel:    +49 621 339960
Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH         Fax:    +49 621 3392239
Floßwörthstraße 41          e-mail: lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
D-68199 Mannheim, Germany