[stunnel-users] debug level 7

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Jan 24 01:51:31 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:08:26PM -0600, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:45:17PM -0600, Damian Wiest wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to stunnel and have run into some unexpected behavior.  I'm
> > inclined to think it's a bug, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding some
> > things.
> >
> > I'm running FreeBSD 6.2 with stunnel 4.21 (installed via ports
> > collection).  I'm able to configure things properly when using stunnel
> > in daemon mode, but am unable to run stunnel from inetd when I set the
> > debug level to 7.
> >
> > If I connect to port 901, some debug messages are written to the socket,
> > [ ... ]
> > ...and some are written to the file I specified,
> > [ ... ]
> > If I run stunnel in daemon mode with the debug level set to 7, then
> > the messages are printed to stderr.  Shouldn't they go to either syslog,
> > or to the file specified with the "output" option?
> >
> > I dug through the source code and discovered that file_putline()
> > is being called from parse_config() before open_log() has been called.
> > This results in file_putline() writing to stderr instead of the specified
> > output file.
>
> It's know behaviour that will get fixed for 4.22. Dig through the list
> archives for the past couple weeks for a URL to download a beta, if you
> care to test it.

Ouch.  When I read Damian's e-mail, I realized that I should have
updated the FreeBSD port of stunnel to the 4.22b2 version a couple of
days ago, when you (Luis) reported the problem and Michal announced it.
I started working on the FreeBSD port update a couple of hours ago,
but you managed to sneak this e-mail before I was done :)

Damian, I just committed the update to stunnel-4.22.b2 (yep, funny
versioning schemes and such) to the FreeBSD Ports Collection; could you
try to update your ports tree and see if the logging fix in the new
version works for you?  It seems to work just fine here.

Sorry for not getting the fix into the Ports Collection earlier -- and
thanks to Michal for the quick release of this beta, and thanks to Luis
for the response to Damian :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.