[stunnel-users] Moving binaries to /usr/bin

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mobi-com.net
Sat Sep 22 18:18:29 CEST 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007 07:50, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > The Debian package of stunnel changed the default location of the
> > binaries, from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. This is because we consider that
> > stunnel is not an admin only tool, but is useful to regular users (as
> > it does not require root privileges for several common use cases).
>
> I did the same in Cygwin (or maybe the previous packager did; anyway Cygwin
> puts the main executable in /usr/bin), for the same reason.

My comment to all port maintainers, if my opinion as the mainstream author is
somehow relevant:

I don't recommend implementing any changes that break mainstream
compatibility.  GNU/GPL allows you to do it, but it's definitely a bad idea,
as mainstream compatibility is a serious benefit to developers and
administrators having to support various platforms.  In the worst case some
creative port maintainers have created their own forks of mainstream
applications and need to support those forks by themselves.

Best regards,