[stunnel-users] Stunnel Scalability Question

Ankur Upadhyaya ankur at ca.ibm.com
Wed Jul 18 19:14:20 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have an application with the following characteristics and am trying to
determine if Stunnel would be a suitable option for securing my
transmissions (in particular, will it scale):

- Each of my clients is connected to the Internet via a 56Kbps modem.  My
server has whatever bandwidth it needs.

- Each client "transaction" consists of (a) connecting to a central server
using a TCP/IP-based protocol, (b) uploading a 512KB block of data and (c)
disconnecting.

- Our server needs to be able to handle 2000 concurrent clients under peak
loads.

- Under the peak load above, I would like to limit the time a client takes
to perform a "transaction" to around five minutes or so (uploading 512KB
at (56Kbps / 2) = 28Kbps should take ~2.5 minutes).

My questions are:

(1) Do I have any reason to believe that Stunnel will simply not be able
to scale to handle the load described above (i.e. a steady load of 2000
concurrent clients connecting, uploading half a megabyte of data and
disconnecting)?

(2) If Stunnel can handle this - do you have any thoughts on what sort of
machine (or machines) I should be running my server-side Stunnel daemon(s)
on?  I am particularly concerned about CPU usage.

I apologize in advance for any overlap between this query and past threads
in the archive/information on the website - I wanted to make sure that I
ran the specific requirements above past somebody with experience using
Stunnel.

Thanks,

Ankur