[stunnel-users] server reads ecrypted data on connect ?

Nikolaj G. damn_you_alexis at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 22:19:11 CET 2007

Hello stunnel'ers,

First of all - im a newbie into openssl and stunnel.
Im trying to stunnel between my own java socket server
and client. The stunnel is established, but the server
reads encrypted data on connect. Since I dont send
anything, Im surprised to see encrypted data in the
server log. Could someone please help.

Ive managed to create a root certificate, a request
and signing it, using:
http://www.eclectica.ca/howto/ssl-cert-howto.php

Thanks in advance.

/nikolaj

PS see configuration below:

Packages (Fedora Core 6):
openssl-devel-0.9.8b-15.fc6
openssl-0.9.8b-15.fc6
stunnel-4.15-2

The SERVER stunnel.conf:

; Certificate/key is needed in server mode
CAfile = /root/ssl/cacert.pem
cert = /root/ssl/key-cert.pem
pid = /root/ssl/stunnel.pid

; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
debug = 7
foreground=yes

#setuid = stunnel
#setgid = stunnel

[mystunnel]
accept  = ratata.cirque.dk:998
connect = 127.0.0.1:8200

The CLIENT stunnel.conf:

; Certificate/key is needed in server mode
CAfile = /root/ssl/eclectica/cacert.pem
pid = /root/ssl/eclectica/stunnel.pid
; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
debug = 7
foreground=yes

; enable client mode
client = yes