[stunnel-users] Problem compiling win32 stunnel.exe v 4.21

Hidden butterspoon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:30:01 CET 2007

Okay, so I'm trying to build stunnel.exe (ver 4.21) under Debian Linux
2.6.22.1 as a prelude to applying some  patches and I'm getting stuck.
I've followed the instructions in the makefile –  Install mingw32;
compile and install openssl; unpack and make stunnel.exe. mingw makes
a bunch of object files for a while, but then at the link stage it
bombs with

i586-mingw32msvc/bin/ld: cannot find  -lzdll

make was when trying to execute the command:

i586-mingw32msvc-gcc -s -o stunnel.exe file.obj client.obj log.obj
options.obj protocol.obj network.obj  resolver.obj ssl.obj ctx.obj
verify.obj sthreads.obj stunnel.obj gui.obj resources.obj
-L/usr/src/openssl-0.9.8g -lzdll -leay32 -lssl32 -lws2_32 -lgdi32
-mwindows

eay32 is nowhere to be found either. It and ssl32 are clearly related
to openssl, but I can't see any suitable files in either the openssl
build directory (/usr/src/openssl-0.9.8g as advertised).

zdll could be something to do with zlib (which I have, ver 1.2.3) and
eay32 and ssl32 are obviously related to  openssl, but the only
libraries under openssl are libssl.a and libcrypto.a (although
optimistically trying to bolt in libssl in place of ssl32 doesn't
work). ws2_32 and gdi32 are windows sockets and GDI, for what it's
worth.

I can't find the required libs on the internet anywhere, and maybe
it's all down to me being a novice with mingw. I do notice the
tantalizingly named files zlib1.dll, libeay32.dll, and  libssl32.dll
in the precompiled Windows binary distribution of stunnel, but surely
I can't use them in any way? I'd love some help from anyone who knows
this system better!

Thanks,

Tony