[stunnel-users] setting up HTTPS service?

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mobi-com.net
Thu Oct 26 09:52:55 CEST 2006

joe at strout.net wrote:
> I want to set up HTTPS service on a Mac OS X (10.4.7) machine running a
> custom web server.  I imagine that Stunnel could be made to listen on
> the standard HTTPS port (443), do the encryption/decryption, and pass
> the resulting data to/from the HTTP port (80, or a custom port I
> specify).
>
> This is probably very easy, but none of the documentation or examples I
> found covered this.  Has anyone done this?  Or if not, can you sketch
> out how I would go about it?

The simplest configuration could be:

[web]
accept=443
connect=80

Please read the fine manual for details:
http://stunnel.mirt.net/static/stunnel.html

> Any gotchas or caveats I should be aware of?

Stunnel does not support HTTP protocol directly, so any server-generated
redirects are kept intact (pointing to the http instead of https).

Best regards,