[stunnel-users] Re: Adding header to SMTP msgs

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 25 20:24:45 CET 2006

>> Is there any way to get the SMTP server to see that original IP address?
>> Or baring that, is there anyway that stunnel can insert a header into the
>> mail indicating the original IP address?
>
>I know there are some people that implement it based on log files.

I'm not quite sure how that would work, baring parsing log files each time a
connection is made, which I would think would slow down the system
significantly.  Would it be very difficult to update stunnel and make it a
configurable option to insert the originating IP as a header in the mail?
ex: something like X-st-originating-IP:  or something like that.

>What is your SMTP server?  Why don't you use a native SSL support?

Am actually using an anti-spam proxy in front my my SMTP server which
doesn't have native SSL support (ASSP).  And if I use the SMTP server's SSL
support, I'll completely be bypassing the AntiSpam proxy which will
completely defeat the purpose of anti-spam.

>Are there really a lot of spammers that use SSL to send spam?
Actually, yes.  There are a significant number of spammers that use SSL
mainly b/c a lot of systems don't check SSL ports against spam, etc.  It is
becoming more and more prevalent.  I woudl have to say that at least 50-60%
of the spam comes via the SSL port.

Thanks,

Eric