[stunnel-users] Using stunnel to add https support to ONE virtual host

Ian cobalt-users1 at fishnet.co.uk
Fri May 5 10:52:08 CEST 2006

On 4 May 2006 at 19:33, Gonzalo Diethelm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Apache serving plain http pages for several domains running as
> virtual hosts on one machine (debian). I know SSL will not work with
> this setup, and I understand the reasons why (at least I think I do).
> Let's say the virtual hosts are
>
>   www.server1.com
>   www.server2.com
>   www.server3.com
>
> I would like to use stunnel to add https capabilities to ONE of the
> virtual hosts (say, www.server3.com). In other words, I would like to
> configure stunnel in server mode with a certificate file, listening on
> www.server3.com:443, so that if I use a browser to visit
>
>   https://www.server3.com/
>
> then stunnel will accept the connection and forward all traffic to
> www.server3.com:80, letting Apache handle it; in particular, this would
> have to allow Apache to recognize which of the virtual hosts is being
> visited; I wouldn't like to have www.server1.com respond to my requests
> instead of www.server3.com.
>
> Is this possible? Any caveats, hints, recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Hi,

I assume all these virtual hosts are listening on one IP?  If so then
you don't really need to use stunnel, you can use mod_ssl and have
everything handled by apache.

The http virtual hosts will listen on port 80 and the single https
host will listen on 443.

You only get a problem if you want to use more than one https site on
one IP (you can't basically).

If you want any help with this setup off list I can give you a few
pointers.

Regards

Ian