[stunnel-users] stunnel 4.15 crashes with vnc server 4.1.1

Harry Boeck Harry.Boeck at t-online.de
Thu May 4 02:33:23 CEST 2006

Hallo stunnel users,

i'm learning to use ssl and ssh tools to get secured access to my
home server from work and other places.

I already have a working ssh installation but stumbled over stunnel
ba accident. I would like to use it, because i still have computers
in use with win98 (both for myself and among my clients) and this
little program is exactly all what i would need to use vnc over a
secured connection.
SSH to the contrary needs a little bit more setup (over a cygwin
that serves the only purpose of aquiring such tools like SSH),
needs its own crypto library compilation and so on.

Now, there is the problem that stunnel 4.15 crashes at the moment,
when the vnc server 4.1.1 tries to deliver its first screen to the client.

Stunnel was downloaded from http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html,
vnc was downloaded from http://www.realvnc.com (already some times ago).
Both where downloaded as binaries, for the typical help hints on forums
for the question "i have a compile problem on windows" being "how dare
you"...

Both machines i'm using for testing use win98 as operating system.

The crash happens both when testing a configuration on one machine
with stunnel running both as server and as client, as well as when
using it to connect two machines with stunnel running as server on
the machine with vnc server and as client on the machine with vnc client.

VNC runs correct for itself as well as via an ssh secured connection.

Stunnel is startet with only the server versus the client configuration
file as command line parameter.
The configuration files are:
 http://harryboeck.dyndns.org/Sicherheit/stunnel-server.ini
 http://harryboeck.dyndns.org/Sicherheit/stunnel-client.ini

Stunnel delivers correctly the data between vnc server and client
(including connection establishment and authentication) until the point of
first screen transfer (when the screen on the client side turns black
and the screen on the server side should remove the background image
and visual effects).

The output of stunnel server and client is:
 http://harryboeck.dyndns.org/Sicherheit/stunnel-server.log
 http://harryboeck.dyndns.org/Sicherheit/stunnel-client.log

The output of "stunnel -version" is:
 http://harryboeck.dyndns.org/Sicherheit/stunnel-version.txt

I have no clue what '6. Output of "uname -a"' should mean,
if that is somehow important for hints, please let me know.

openssl version is: OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

I would appreciate any suggestions or hints on the interaction of vnc and
stunnel.

with best regards
Harry Boeck