[stunnel-users] Stunnel Won't Start on Linux (even with fixed /etc/default/stunnel)

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Tue Mar 7 21:37:19 CET 2006

I'm trying to start stunnel4 on Linux.  I've modified
the /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf file so I can use it with RealVNC.  When
I run "stunnel4 /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf" or "/etc/init.d/stunnel4
start", neither command gives me errors or any output, even with -d 7
set.  After the shell returns control to me, I do "ps -ax" and have yet
to see any instance of stunnel running.  There is never a file
in /var/run/stunnel to indicate a working daemon if I start it as one.

I have edited /etc/default/stunnel4 to look like this (changed ENABLED).
I've included it and my /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf below.

No matter what I do, there is never any evidence that stunnel is staring
or doing anything.  Even error messages would be a big help, so I'd at
least know what was wrong.

Any help appreciated.  I'm sure it's something so obvious I don't see
how I could miss it.

Thanks for any help.

Hal

-----------------/etc/default/stunnel4------------------------
# /etc/default/stunnel
# Julien LEMOINE <speedblue at debian.org>
# September 2003

# Change to one to enable stunnel
ENABLED=1
FILES="/etc/stunnel/*.conf"
OPTIONS=""

# Change to one to enable ppp restart scripts
PPP_RESTART=0

------------/etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf--------------------
CAfile = /etc/stunnel/CAcert.pem
CApath = /etc/stunnel/