[stunnel-users] stunnel through xinetd: process not terminating after use

Alex Forrow aforrow at comintel.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 17:53:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

Im using stunnel through xinetd to forward some local unencrypted ldap
connections to our ssl ldap server. Seems to work ok but after each use
the stunnel process does not terminate, so I end up with losts of
processes not doing anything.

After a few days, these processes reach a limit and connections fail.

As you can see, the connection has finished, but the process still exists:

[root at lynx stunnel]# ps -e | grep stunnel
 2396 ?        00:00:00 stunnel
 2517 ?        00:00:00 stunnel
 2575 ?        00:00:00 stunnel
 2576 ?        00:00:00 stunnel

[root at lynx stunnel]# netstat -p | grep stunnel
tcp        0      0 lynx.seekit.co.uk:ldaplo
lynx.seekit.co.uk:60390     CLOSE_WAIT  2396/stunnel
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    3204569 2576/stunnel
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    3204562 2575/stunnel
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    3203127 2517/stunnel
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    3202108 2396/stunnel

Heres the xinetd configuration for stunnel (/etc/xinetd.d/ldaplo):
# default: on
service ldaplo
{
        disable = no
        #flags          = REUSE
        port = 390
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = nobody
        server          = /usr/sbin/stunnel
        server_args     = /etc/stunnel/ldap.conf
#       log_on_failure  += USERID
}

Heres the stunnel configuration file (/etc/stunnel/ldap.conf):
    client = yes
    connect = 636

Cheers,

Alex Forrow