[stunnel-users] Peer suddenly disconnected

John Hartnup1 hartnuj at uk.ibm.com
Mon Sep 26 21:05:36 CEST 2005

stunnel-users-bounces at mirt.net wrote on 26-09-2005 19:17:55:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having problems using stunnel. I would be glad to provide further
> information upon request. The funny thing is that it was working before
> I shipped the client pc to the remote location. Nothing has changed
since.

They symptoms appear to me to be consistent with a firewall between the
client and the server terminating the connection when it sees traffic that
doesn't fit its view of what the protocol it expects on port 465 to be.

I see this all the time because I work with FTP/TLS, which goes on port 21
like normal FTP, but some common firewall configurations sever the
connection when it switches to SSL and the firewall starts seeing non-ASCII
bytes, or long strings of bytes without CRLFs.

However, port 465 is designated for SMTP over TLS, so this wouldn't seem
likely to be a common firewall configuration. The fact that it worked when
the client was on a different network supports the theory that it's
firewall related.