[stunnel-users] Re: stunnel 4.14 and openssl 0.9.8a

MeeAGhost meeaghost at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 23:22:27 CET 2005

I am using stunnel to tunnel my VNC connection. As recent as version 4.12 I
have been able to use the libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll files I created with
openssl 0.9.X.X using Msys and Mingw with the steps below:

1. I comment out line 910 in the openssl Configure script
2. Create .def for dll's:
perl util/mkdef.pl 32 libeay > ms/libeay32.def
perl util/mkdef.pl 32 ssleay > ms/ssleay32.def

3. Execute the openssl configure script
./Configure mingw

4. Execute the make for openssl
make
5. After the make completes I create the dlls
dllwrap --dllname libeay32.dll --output-lib libeay32.a --def ms/libeay32.def
libcrypto.a -lwsock32 -lgdi32
dllwrap --dllname libssl32.dll --output-lib libssl32.a --def ms/ssleay32.def
libssl.a libeay32.a

When I place the resulting dlls on the remote machine with version
4.14installed and establish a VNC connection to machine stunnel
crashes and
generates a Dr. Watson error. If I revert back to version 4.12 the dlls I
created using the steps above --- everything works. If I install the
0.9.7idlls (which come as a part of the
4.14 Win Install package) everything works.

I am trying to keep server and clients on the same version of openssl which
is why I have been compling new dlls whenever I have upgraded the servers.
Is there something unique being done in version 4.14 that prevents dlls
created with 0.9.8a from being used?

-- Chris