[stunnel-users] slightly OT: starting up multiple instances

Colin McKinnon colin at mms3.com
Wed Jun 1 14:45:05 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I realise this is slightly OT (the problem seems to be in a different program)
but thought that someobdy out there may have solved this one already. I'm
trying to run a second instance of stunnel (different 'verify' level) on a
SuSE 8.2 box.

The second instance just doesn't start.

What I did was to copy the supplied /etc/init.d/stunnel script to 'stunnelv'
and referenced different config and PID files. After I had fixed bug in the
startup script (the line which started the process - using startproc - didn't
pass the conf file, and didn't get told to use the PID file) I still got the
same error.

Now, if I run '/etc/init.d/stunnel start' I get /var/run/stunnel.pid. If I
then run '/etc/init.d/stunnelv start' it reports 'OK' but didn't really
start. If I start them the other way around 'stunnelv' works and I get
/var/run/stunnelv.pid but then 'stunnel' won't start.

Thinking that 'startproc' is seeing 'stunnel' already running in the
processlist, I tried creating a symbolic link '/usr/sbin/stunelv' to
/usr/bin/stunnel and changed '/etc/init.d/stunnelv' to run that instead of
'/usr/sbin/stunnel'. Looking in 'ps' it is reported as 'stunnelv' but I still
can't get the second instance to start.

The error seems to be with 'startproc' - it seems to think that the intended
process is running when it's not. If I just type in the line which starts up
stunnel as shown below I get the same behaviour.

startproc -v -l /var/log/rc.stunnelv.log -p /var/run/stunnelv.pid
/usr/sbin/stunnelv /etc/stunnel/verified_clients.conf

Unfortunately, the '-v' option doesn't seem to work.

Anybody any suggestions?

TIA,

Colin