AW: [stunnel-users] Reporting problems

Smith, Derek John Derek.Smith at AtosOrigin.com
Fri Jul 1 10:56:35 CEST 2005

Hi all,
sorry to have to use the list for this, but it would appear to be the last option available.

This is from a previous posting from Brian Hatch ...

> As the maintenance man  of the 3.x branch (yes, some folks do
> use it still)
> the official stance is this:
>
> 	* if it's a security bug, I'll patch it.
> 	* if it's a bug and you have a patch that works, I'll probably
> 	  apply it
> 	* if it's a bug and you don't have a patch, I probably don't
> 	  have the cycles to investigate it, sorry.

However, the reality is different.

Yes, some people still do use release 3. I have customers who prefer proven stability over new innovation. This is meant to be understood in a general way (i.e. database upgrades, OS updates etc) and not specifically to stunnel.

I have mailed Brian several times about problems concerning release 3.26 and not a single reply has been received. Maybe the mails never arrived, but I doubt it very much. Also, no changes have been made to the software, so the supplied patch never got applied.

In the complete absence of any proof to the contrary, I can only assume that the following statement holds:-

RELEASE 3 IS DEAD !!!!!!!!!!

I welcome evidence refuting this, but won't hold my breath. In the meantime, testing will start on release 4.

Brian, if you're reading this, I'm not trying to start a flame war, or dissing you. A simple mail would have sufficed ...

Derek