[stunnel-users] stunnel crash when multiple connections

Debin Chen debinc at promise.com
Wed Apr 27 02:51:12 CEST 2005

Hi,

I will appreciate greatly if you can diagnose the following crash
problem:

I am using stunnel 4.05, working with webserver thttpd to provide a
https solution, in linux environment. First I wrote down some noticeable
behavior of stunnel.

1) stunnel each time spawns a thread to handle the https connection then
destroy the thread. If I browse a lot of pages, then internally a lot of
thread ( or process) got created and destroyed.

2) Sometimes after a https request is completed, the thread is still
there. Only following request will trigger the thread got destroyed.
Normally if there is no activity, just 2 threads left.

The problem: During some stress testing, such as multiple ( in my case,
actually just 2 or 3) web browser simultaneously issues request to the
web server in https, I found out in certain moment  stunnel spawns more
than 5 or 6 threads to handle the connections, sometimes it crashed
without giving out any serious debug error messages. When it crashed,
system resource of CPU and memory is still sufficient. Note than I
already set timeoutclose=0, that should be done.

Best Regards

Debin Chen

Advanced Storage Division
Promise Technology, Inc.
580 Cottonwood Drive,
Milpitas, CA 95035
Tel: 408-228-1529

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in or attached to this
email message is either proprietary and/or confidential information, or
information intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately
notify us by email and delete the original message from your
computer/server with confirmation to us that you have done so.  Thank
you.