[stunnel-users] stunnel 4.0.6 stunnel uid/gid removal

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Dec 30 08:42:11 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 01:37:49PM -0800, Noah wrote:
> stunnel-4.0.6
> FreeBSD-4.9
>

> I just installed stunnel 4.0.6 and noticed during the portinstall that the
> defualt behavior was to remove the stunnel uid and gid.  can somebody clue me
> in as to why this was the Process?  I cant find any relevant information on
> the web.

This is specific to the FreeBSD port of stunnel (which I maintain).
The reason for removing the stunnel uid and gid at port removal time, as
well as creating them at port install time, is that FreeBSD ports are
supposed to leave the system in a pristine state after their removal,
and there is pretty much no way for a port to know whether the
administrator wishes to upgrade it or totally purge it.

Another way would be to just leave the user there and display a message
upon deinstallation.  I'm open to suggestions on this one - if people
think that this should be the default behavior, I could change it.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.