[stunnel-users] UDP applications

Colin McKinnon colin at mms3.com
Mon Dec 20 11:55:56 CET 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 10:10, Paul wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Is there any roadmap for Stunnel to support UDP applications? Cant a
> simple  UDP forwarder (with proper buffering to ensure a tcp-like
> stream of data) do the job?

erm, but surely UDP + packet reassembly ~= TCP ?

I know there are applications (like VOIP) where maintaining a realtime
connection means dropping the occasional packet, but surely this would
require renegatiation of the SSL connection for each data packet! That's
where protocols like IPSEC might be a better solution.

Of course you could encapsulate your UDP packets in a SSL (stunnel) wrapped
TCP stream to avoid the renogation problem - this is well documented for *nix
systems elsewhere.

Or did I miss something?

C.